Monday, September 10, 2012

Born this way......Dear Dad Day 62


Dear Dad,

I have learned the importance of staying true to myself. This importance begins with the definition of truth….what is individual truth? Popular opinion would say that individual truth belongs to and is defined by the individual. Initially that sounds so great and extremely liberating to have the power to be able to define my individual truth. After serious study and an intrinsic desire to live my life in a way that is pleasing to You, I searched and found a place that states “I am the way, the truth, and the life” John 14:6. I also found this in Matthew 16 “If any of you want to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me”. From that I began to measure my “individual truth” to “Your truth”….two totally diffident truths that scaled on opposite ends of the spectrum. In fact, such contrast meant that  one truth had to be right and the opposing truth....wrong.  As a believer, “Your truth” would be the right one, while whatever “my individual truth” is would be wrong.
  
So now, in order to create balance “my individual truth” has to mirror the image of “Your truth”.  I went on to search for the best way to create balance that would yield some sort of happy medium. Well that search turned out to be never-ending because that quest proved to be impossible.  So now I had to strap on some discipline and truly embrace this pursuit of balance. Looking at Your word, that is also stated above,  proves that in order to establish this balance  some work and sacrifice must be done on my behalf. You said that in order to follow You one must turn from their selfish ways, and pick up their cross to do so. The words “their cross” stuck out to me. What is my cross? Measuring the wayward implication of “individual truth” to the biblical implication of "individual cross” both terms are somewhat identical. Therefore individual truth=individual cross; both entails that part of us that we self define as “who we are” aka our selfish ways.  If not comparable to “Your truth” that “who we are” aspect of us could be leading us to a spiritual death. This reality sounds so harsh, but no matter what popular opinion tells us, You have made it clear over and over and over in Your word that in order for us to have lasting life spiritually, we must "get rid of that which is bad and hold tight to that which is good" Romans 12:9.  

As a father You see the various battles that we struggle with continuously. This struggle is a result of the constant battle between the spiritual and carnal parts of us.  Because You have given us free will, we can choose which part of us we want to use most, ultimately bringing You honor OR shame.  My goal is to honor You, help me to get rid of all parts of me that You hate. I do not claim being born anyway other than in Your image. Some areas of struggle are larger for some than others, and given an intentional heart to please You and not myself, sets me up to be the  winner!!! Thank you for making me a winner.

Kristen

Word on the Go: Matthew 16: 24-28; John 14:6; Galatians 6: 7-9; Colossians 3;---see biblegateway.com

Matthew 16: 24-28 24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. 25 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 26 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?[a] Is anything worth more than your soul? 27 For the Son of Man will come with his angels in the glory of his Father and will judge all people according to their deeds. 28 And I tell you the truth, some standing here right now will not die before they see the Son o fMan coming in his Kingdom.

John 14:6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is.[c] From now on, you do know him and have seen him!”


Galatians 6: 7-9 Don’t be misled—you cannot mock the justice of God. You will always harvest what you plant. Those who live only to satisfy their own sinful nature will harvest decay and death from that sinful nature. But those who live to please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit. So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. 10 Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment